Saturday, June 19, 2010

Some of What I Saw



When I first joined, there were a few neighbors who didn’t appreciate the noise we were making. The cops were called. Then last week two guys were shot in broad daylight 50 feet away from where we hold the REMIX (two hours before we started as a matter of fact) and we haven’t heard a peep since. I guess the sound of a bunch of folks singing and rapping about the love of Christ is preferable to gunfire.

Crucified then rose again.
Everyone must answer to Him.
He gave His all then rose again.
King of kings my greatest Friend.

I sang this over and over again along with:

True love is found only (3x)
True love is found only in Jesus.

Passerby’s stopped to listen, cars slowed, people sat on their porches, crossed the street, gathered around. People across the street at one house seemed to really enjoy what was going on. One lady was dancing so hard it was a little funny.

I was surprised to suddenly see a group of people handing out tracts-clearly in evangelization mode-coming towards me as I sang. I had never seen them before. With wide eyes and bright smiles, they seemed ecstatic to see us. We shook hands and hugged like we had known each other for years. They walked on, but in that moment we strengthened each other. We were on the same Team.

The chairs filled and the folks of Arnett Blvd. sat and enjoyed some food and juice. People always show up, but I was particularly impressed by how many families came out. Cuevas was rapping when I saw a large group of seven walking down the street towards us. They stood on the curve close to the street. I quickly went over and asked one of the three young men (they were clearly brothers) if they wanted chairs. He said yes, and came with me to grab some. By the time that family was seated another family came.

I felt a sense of holiness as REMIX leaders did simple stuff like get more Kool-aid or pizza for people. What I saw were priests moving about. I wonder how God saw it.

A couple of teenage girls came up for prayer after Julia Peace and Tobias of INF shared from their heart. We prayed for them. Tobias led them in what is usually called the prayer of Salvation. I tried to imagine what might be happening in Heaven at that moment.

I made it back home in time to watch the Lakers defeat the Celtics in what I thought was a very entertaining fourth quarter.

Go Lakers?
Go Jesus.

-fg

0 comments: